Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Why blog?

Blogging requires commitment.  When I was attempting to put a name to this page I was constantly thwarted by bloggers who set up a site, posted one entry (if that) and then left their blog languishing in the wilderness and consequently holding a perfectly appropriate domain name hostage.  I don't want that to be me.  So, in order to have a motivation behind my blog, I am going to put my purpose in writing.

When I was a young lass, I had very strong opinions about things.  I loved to debate and to argue and I was never terribly concerned if my arguments were logical, rational, reasonable or right.  Winning an argument was contingent upon me using my wit to my advantage.  If I could bring up an embarrassing story surrounding my opponent's argument and make a witty jab about it, typically my opponent would crumple and I would declare victory. It was all quite silly.

Since that time, I have decided that an argument should not only be correct but it should also be winsome.  Therefore, my arguments for or against something should be both well thought out and well presented.  The problem however, is that this sort of organization is not easy to come by.  It isn't a natural tendency of mine to think logically when I am arguing a point.  My tendency is to zero in on the most effective strain of argument and camp out there, building trenches and praying against any grenades.  But, this sort of argument never wins any converts and it rarely wins respect.  Therefore, the first purpose of this blog is to teach me to refine my thoughts and to present them in an orderly way.

AddThis