Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Follow Your Conscience?

A lot of emphasis is placed upon the idea of the conscience. It is the mystical way that individuals know what they are supposed to do in those tough, moral situations. One's conscience is often honored as the supreme moral authority in life and thanks to Jiminy Cricket's oft quoted statement, "Let your conscience be your guide," this trend is likely to continue.

But doesn't this seem odd?  What in the world is a conscience and why does it have so much power and prestige in my life and in my decision-making process? Should I ignore my conscience? Should I afford it a place of less importance? In the next few blog posts I am going to explore the idea of the conscience. I am going to consider what the conscience is, why it is good, why it can be bad, how it can be cultivated and then I will consider practical out-workings of a grounded conscience.

Here is a link to R.C. Sproul's recent article entitled, "Ethics and the Conscience." It will give you a preview of what is to come.

AddThis